Emergency Protests: Overturn the Texas Abortion Vigilante law
The Supreme Court’s refusal to block the Texas law banning abortions and deputizing vigilantes to enforce it is an unprecedented intrusion into the constitutional rights of women and a stunning attack on the rule of law. This article in The Guardian is one of the best to be published about it. And here’s Justice Sotomayor’s dissent, the Tribune editorial, and Rex Huppke’s Trib column.
We’re all coming together in several emergency protests on Saturday October 2nd:
- at 11:30am at Daley Center in downtown Chicago — here’s the Facebook event from Planned Parenthood Illinois Action
- at 2:30pm at the central square in historic Woodstock in McHenry County — here’s the RSVP page at WomensMarch.com
- at 11:00am at the Palatine Volunteer Plaza and Clock Tower, 1 IDOT, in Palatine — here’s the RSVP page at WomensMarch.com
- at 11:00am at Mike Rylko Community Park, 951 McHenry Road, in Buffalo Grove — here’s the RSVP page at WomensMarch.com
- at 10:00am at Jackman Park, 1011 Lehigh Ave, in Glenview — here’s the RSVP page at WomensMarch.com
- at 3:00pm at the Porter County Courthouse, 16 E. Lincolnway, in Valparaiso — here’s the event’s Facebook page from Northwest Indiana NOW
- at 11:30am at the Old State Capitol Plaza in Springfield — here’s the Facebook event from Planned Parenthood Illinois Action
- in Washington, and in major cities all across the country.
Note: the Illinois Handmaids will be out in force at the Chicago event — click here to RSVP.
Say it loud: Abortion On Demand and Without Apology. See you there … this Friday … bring your masks … and bring signs.
- Visit PNARepealAction.org
- Get ready to submit Witness Slips in support of the repeal legislation
- Read the new report on PNA by Human Rights Watch and visit the ACLU’s page on PNA
- Watch this 30-second video by Dr. Alison Cowett and read Dr. Cowett’s op-ed in the Sun-Times
- Visit PersonalPAC.org
- Watch the video of our January 20th program (80) minutes
- Watch the short version of this video (18 minutes)
- Get the latest talking points, fact sheets and social media kit
- Visit RepealPNA.org
- Tell your friends and spread the word on social media using the #repealPNA hashtag.
- Call, email or write your state legislators. Send a letter to the editor.
- Visit RepealPNA.org/take-action to look up your legislators, send an email, or sign up to get more involved.
Almost daily, a pregnant young person in Illinois is forced to beg a judge in a room full of strangers to “allow” her to seek an abortion, with her only other choices being a self-induced illegal abortion, telling a violent or abusive parent she is pregnant, or becoming a parent against her will and better judgement.
This is what Illinois’ dangerous Parental Notice of Abortion (PNA) law does to countless young women across Illinois and why the next Speaker of the Illinois House must publicly commit to play a leadership role in its repeal prior to May 31, 2021. Putting the health and lives of young women at risk for one more day is unacceptable and lacks excuse. The repeal of PNA simply requires striking a few sentences from the state statute, is revenue neutral (actually saves money), and is supported by every mainstream medical and child advocacy organization in Illinois and across the country. The time for leadership is now.