Illinois has one of the best reproductive rights laws around … but there’s one critical way in which we must improve them, and that it is to repeal that requires a teenage girl to seek the approval of a judge to get an abortion if she can’t notify her parents.
The vast majority of teenage girls who can tell their parent(s) about their pregnancy, will … but sadly it is all too common in our society that they simply can’t. They may be in an abusive family situation. It may be a relative who has gotten them pregnant. They may get beaten up, or thrown out of the house. We need to spare our teenage girls that trauma and allow them to get the abortion they need, when they need it. Get full details at the ACLU of Illinois and get the full printable fact sheet.
Here’s what to do:
- Look up your nine-digit ZIP code at the United States Postal Service.
- Use your nine-digit zipcode to look up your state and federal legislators and your district numbers.
- Get a complete list of Illinois House members and their contact information here.
- Get a complete list of Illinois Senate members and their contact information here.
- Here’s phone #’s and other contact info for our US senators: Senator Tammy Duckworth—202-224-2854 or 312-886-3506; and Senator Dick Durbin—202-224-2152 or 312-353-4952
- Let your legislators know your positions on the bills described below. Demand action, courteously and forcefully.
- Tell the whole world too. Send letters to the editor, spread the word on social media, tell all your friends and relatives.
- Vote, vote, vote !!!! Now is the time to jump in to support candidates who support the issues you care about.